A Dozen Things Especially for Kids (and Families)
Big Horn Basin Folk Festival is family-friendly. Many demonstrators have hands-on activities especially for kids. Others are skilled at show-and-tell with even small children.
1) Many demonstrators have hands-on opportunities – just ask the magic words, “Can I try?”
2) Basic rug hooking is easy for kids to learn, and the rug hookers have tools and supplies to try it. Wild West Rug Hooking Tent. Saturday only, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
3) Learn how to rope with John Herrin. On the Green, Sat., 11:30 a.m.-noon; and Sun., 11:15-noon.
4) Fun mini-workshop just for kids! “Miss V” shows how to fashion music makers using simple items around the house. On the Green, Sat., 3:30-3:45 p.m.
5) Learn a Jewish/Israeli folk dance! Adults welcome also! Pavilion.
6) Get down & dirty! Family-friendly hands-on garden arts activities conducted by Red Dirt Master Gardeners. Activities include tin can people, mobiles, potato stamps and more. SWAG Guild Tent, Sat., 12:30-300 p.m.
7) Come watch Thermopolis Middle School in a special reading & performance presentation of a chapter from The Great Brain by John Fitzgerald. Sun., noon in Storytelling Circle Tent.
8) Express yourself in color at the Color Thermopolis mural. Sat., 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sun., 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m, SWAG Tent.
9) Make-It-and-Take-It Craft Activities:
- Paint a lizard or butterfly on a rock (Cindy Clancy & Rita Bishop), SWAG Tent, Sat., 3-5 p.m.; Sun., 10-10:45 a.m.
- Make a pincushion (Claudia Augustine & Deb Stewart), SWAG Tent, Sun.., 11 a.m.-12:15 p..m.
- Miniature basketmaking, SWAG Tent, Sun., 1:30-2:15 p..m.
Saturday, Aug. 5
11 a.m.-5 p.m. Color Thermopolis mural. Smoking Waters Art Guild (SWAG) tent.
12:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Red Dirt Master Gardeners. Tin can people, mobiles, potato stamps, paper hats and more. SWAG tent.
3:00 p.m.-5 p.m. Smoking Waters Art Guild. Activities with Cindy Clancy & Rita Bishop. Paint a lizard or a butterfly on a rock. SWAG tent.
Sunday, Aug. 6
10:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Color Thermopolis mural. SWAG tent.
10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Smoking Waters Art Guild activities with Cindy Clancy & Rita Bishop. Paint a lizard or a butterfly on a rock. SWAG tent.
11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Smoking Waters Art Guild activity with Claudia Augustine & Deb Stewart: Make a pincushion. SWAG tent.
1:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m. Smoking Waters Art Guild activity: Make a miniature basket.